Thursday, June 28, 2012

SCHWEINHUND!!!

A German curse, similar to "Sonofabitch" for us... fitting since Germany is in the Euro '12 semifinal today!!! Deutschland Uber Alles!!! Kill those Dego Wops! (Kidding, kidding... we all know what happens when German pride gets out of hand...)

But I digress... sanding the epoxy was a real pain in the @$$, but it's done, and I learned a few valuable lessons... 

1. Easy on the epoxy! A little goes a long way, especially in the cutaways, which are a "schweinhund" to sand. It did it's job, but made more work for myself than necessary. If this was to be a natural or transparent finish, i'd have the sand the cutaways even more. See?



2. I'll be going with a professionally-finished neck... it's just too important to risk screwing it up. I've settled on a Warmoth headstock style that's based on traditional Fender Strat, but just different enough to make it unique:


The neck will be all maple, 22 frets, 25 1/2" scale, 1 11/16" nut, modern "C"-shape profile, Warmoth's 10"-16" compound radius, Jumbo 6100 frets, with a vintage yellow tint and satin finish.  Oh, and a reverse headstock, just to say F U to the status quo.

Anyways, here we are for now... i think i'll do a coat of sanding sealer tomorrow morning, even though I was going to skip that step initially. It's recommended for nitrocellulose finishes, and it's cheap AND easy to sand! Whew. Good thing my right hand is in GREAT shape...


1 comment:

  1. "Good thing my right hand is in GREAT shape..."

    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete